Saturday 18 April 2015

Sounion




This drawing continues a theme that I have been following for a few months based on my visits to the temple of Poseidon at Sounio.  In earlier posts I mention that my first visit to this temple was in 1999 as a student on the British School at Athens undergraduate course, Topography and Archaeology of Ancient Greece.  This very ruined temple captured my imagination then and upon returning in August 2014 it did not let me down.  The situation of the temple is the tip of Southern Attica about 79 km from Athens.  It was dedicated to the god Poseidon (king of the sea) in the mid 5th century BC and later abandoned as Christianity spread throughout the Mediterranean.

Many people come here to see the sun set over the horizon as the Aegean sea spreads out from the cliff top where the temple stands.  I've yet to see the sunset.  Another excuse to visit in the hopefully not too distant future.  I think I will be creating a lot more work based on this temple!



Sounion, A1 drawing and gouche (2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment