Monday 14 September 2015

Naxos Tree Sunset, 1st August 2015

We arrived in Naxos after spending 3 days at Mykonos beforehand.  Naxos is a very different island from Mykonos, more down to earth and cheaper (not that I felt Mykonos lacked a Greek feel especially where we stayed which was quite isolated).  I like sunsets as many people do and have previously included sunsets in my artwork.  Greece and I suppose the Mediterranean in general is home to some spectacular sunsets, with no two being the same.  The tree in the painting is simplified because I focussed on a smaller part, whereas the drawing has taken a larger overview of the scene.


Naxos Tree Sunset, 1st August 2015, oil on canvas 80x100cm
 
Preliminary sketch

Naxos Tree Sunset, carbon pencil and coloured pencil drawing A3




No comments:

Post a Comment