Wednesday 12 March 2014

Art Work 1993/2012

http://www.saatchiart.com/janesproston

During 2012 my work continued from the earlier theme of neglected places.  I spent quite a lot of time not just at the old railway in West Didisbury but also looking at the many abandoned and derelict houses in the area.  The area has changed a lot since 1993 when I was visiting the ruins of the area.  I didn't just photo the houses, in one in particular we spent many nights in during the course of 1993/4.  150 Palatine Road has lots of memories for me, I liked the risk we were taking being there (it was trespassing I suppose), it was falling down and yet we spent nights in it!  It was spooky, but that just added to its interest. 

150 Palatine Road, black and white photo
The house was pulled down in the summer of 1994.  Quite a few of us had been visiting this place for well over a year before it met its demise.  To me it was an escape from difficult times, pressure, personal issues.  Here, was a place that had once been so grand and now so dilapidated.  The first time we went at the beginning of 1993, we were shouted at by a tramp who had been living there on the top floor.  He soon left when we started to visit more often.  We must have disturbed his peace!
Dining room window, November 1993

Dining room window, summer 1993
Living room, summer 1993
One night spent here was so cold we thought (foolishly) that we could still light a fire in the remains of the fireplace.  Mistake.  The smoke filled the room and we had to abandon the place that night.  
 
Top floor (2nd floor), autumn 1993
We actually walked around this floor even with the rain falling on our heads due to the lack of a roof.  I think the danger element may have been an added attraction to us at the time.

The stables, autumn 1993
Another point of interest was how much there was of this building.  It seemed to go on and on.  

150 Palatine Road, A1 charcoal drawing, 2012
This is my work based on the experiences that we had at 150 Palatine Road.  I hope to return to this theme in later works.  



 



 


1 comment: